Thump Thump

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Bienvenue á Thump Thump

Greetings and welcome. My name is Monsieur Ernest Valdemar. You might know me from the famous newspaper account; it seems I had my first "fifteen minutes of fame" some century-and-a-half ago. More recently, I was resurrected as a mascot of sorts for a certain horror blogger, who, taking ill due to a series of unfortunate sleep disturbances (with which I can only too eagerly sympathize), declared a hiatus from blogging last September.

I have grown weary of waiting for Mr. Peirce to resume his ruminations, and so I have taken it upon myself to begin this new weblogging enterprise -- Thump Thump: A Weblog to Read in the Dark.

Do not fear that the work may be too much for one in my position; fortunately, my status as a mesmeric corpse affords me contact with certain personalities who might not otherwise be available. I shall of course post notices and the occasional opinion piece as Publisher and Editor-in-Chief; however, the chief blogging duties shall fall to my crack editorial staff:

Vincent will be joining Thump Thump as the New Media editor. Vincent will seek out and share links to the best in web-native content -- from frightening Flash to demonic digital art to macabre MPEGs.


Ambrose is our new Fiction editor. Ambrose will share the best of public domain and creative commons short fiction of the macabre and weird -- a substantial portion of which he himself wrote. Of course, he'll serve everything up with a dose of his famous misanthropy as well.

John's department is It's True! (According to Some Accounts). Expect tales of the strange and unusual, as reported in first-hand accounts and tabloid newspapers. From tales of haunted saloons to Malaysian bigfoots, if someone, somewhere, thinks it's true, so does John.

There's a longstanding journalistic tradition that women journalists are shunted off to the Lifestyle pages, and Thump Thump is no exception to the rule. The lovely Barbara will be covering travel & tourism, shopping, home and fashion, and livin' la vida muerta.

Peter's beat? True crime. The true crime genre sometimes takes a beating from the horror afficianados. Let's see if Peter's keen eye for teasing the truth from the tangle of sensationalism won't appeal to Thump Thump's readers.

These are the correspondents currently contracted to provide features; I hope to be adding more correspondents in the future. Fortunately, the talent pool to which I have access isn't going anywhere. And of course, if Mr. Peirce begins to feel well enough, he is always welcome to chime in with an opinion piece or personal reminiscence as editor emeritus.

In articulo mortis,

M. Valdemar
Publisher and Editor-in-Chief

8 Comments:

  • M. Valdemar,

    I want to congratulate you on this endeavor. When you first hinted of your plans, I thought it would be something very significant to horror blogtopia. My expectations were high; you did not disappoint.

    What I particularly like:

    * The style. The "bloody handprint" -- or am I revealing to much about myself and it is an ink blot - is chilling. I hesitate to tell you what else I see in it.

    * The writing. It strikes the write tone.

    * The subject. The mix of stories promised is excellent: the true crime element will also probably lure my wife to read your blog more than mine.

    The bad.

    * I'm going to have those dolls in my nightmare tonight.

    * Also the demon face in the bloody hand print...is this a psychological experiment to find out who should be committed?

    Looking forward to the official launch. I'll pimp it across several blogs.

    By Blogger Carnacki, at 1/27/2006 11:48 PM  

  • I like... I've got a high-speed connection, so it loaded fine for me, but you're right - the graphics could be a drag, particularly if, uh, Vincent plans on including that media on the site as well.

    Looks good, though.

    By Blogger protected static, at 1/28/2006 2:33 AM  

  • Protected Static: Vincent intends to post linked screenshots. For one thing, he can't afford to host big Flash files and mpgs locally.

    Carnacki, it is -- or was -- a bloody handprint. I found this image online several months ago. I wish I could remember where. I then "remixed" it by chopping it up, doing some mirror imaging so it would tile, adjusting the color values, etc. I think it's a copyrighted image; if the original artist discovers it, I hope he'll acknowledge the creativity of my transformation and adaptation, else-wise I might have to alter my design.

    As for a demon's face, that sounds like pure paraeidolia. I'm just not seeing it. I just wanted an image that said "horror and decay," without doing the usual black-and-red color scheme.

    By Blogger HP, at 1/28/2006 6:12 PM  

  • Dang -- I munged my own comment. Blogger comments don't allow editing after posting. Anyway, I desaturated the original graphic, so it would function as a background. After I rearranged it so that the bloody hand would tile down the sidebar.

    Also, as you folks read this over the life of the blog: Yes, the variously signed posts are all the work of one person. I hope not to descend into sock puppetry or Multiple Personality Disorder. I hope that the multiple bylines become basically an open conceit -- it's my alternative to tagging, and it gives me an excuse to experiment with writing in different voices. I'm not a crazy person; I just play one on the Internet.

    By Blogger HP, at 1/28/2006 6:21 PM  

  • I love the site even if you did make me look up paraeidolia. When do you want me to promote it across blogtopia?

    By Blogger Carnacki, at 2/02/2006 12:36 AM  

  • I've linked it out and set up tracking -- we're open for business!

    By Blogger HP, at 2/02/2006 11:01 AM  

  • hp,
    I pimped it on daily kos too. I put up a post today on mine. I held off yesterday because of the passing of jill's step father. Mine doesn't get nearly the level of traffic as Daily Kos however.

    By Blogger Carnacki, at 2/04/2006 5:14 PM  

  • Hello M Valdemar,
    I have read both of your blogs and I agree with you. We do NEED the horror genre in our lives. You have written quite a bit of good stuff. I enjoy reading your posts. I'm a big horror fan and I want to invite you to a party!!
    I work for Art Meets Commerce (http://www.artmeetscommerce.net) and we mount an annual haunted house in NYC, Nightmare: Ghost Stories (http://www.hauntedhousenyc.com). We are hosting two blogger nights (9/1 and 9/27) and we would like to invite you to come. If you are interested, let me know and I'll send you more details about our blogger nights! I hope you can make it so we can talk horror with you!

    Best,
    Marissa Coronado
    (mcoronado@artmeetscommerce.net)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/06/2007 7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home